Vinyl cutting machines are used to cut through the second-largest resin in the world today – vinyl. Vinyl is composed of flexible plastic (ethylene) initiated in crude oil, chlorine, and organic salt. Vinyl is frequently used in construction especially for vinyl flooring, sign and display production, or all types of vinyl sheets.
Businesses nowadays don’t have the time to employ human labour to cut vinyl sheets, so a vinyl cutter is commonly used to save businesses money and time. We have developed this list of the best vinyl cutters on the market based on user reviews, vinyl cutter capacity, and efficiency.
Our list of the Top 10 Vinyl Cutters in 2017
#1. Roland CAMM-1 Pro GX-640 Vinyl Cutter ad Plotter (5star)
The Roland CAMM-1 Pro GX-640 Vinyl Cutter ad Plotter is the most expensive cutter in our list. It goes for about $7000 but has so many ideal features to go with. It has a 64 inch wide format, fits up to 72 inch of rolls, and has a quality optical lens technology that provides high precision results.
This one makes the Roland CAMM-1 Pro GX-640 Vinyl Cutter ad Plotter very ideal for printing pre-printed graphics for t-shirts and apparel.
- Quadralign optical lens technology for high precision
- Up to 72-inch cuts on vinyl rolls
- Expanded grit roller for systems for heaviest materials
- Ideal for full contour-cutting color graphics of virtually any size/shape.
- Complex set up system
- Can get damaged easily if mishandled
- Proper maintenance and care for great results
#2. Graphtec Fc8600-130 54-Inch Vinyl Cutter and Plotter (5star)
The Graphtec Fc8600-130 54-Inch Vinyl Cutter and Plotter goes for about $6000. It has high number of features that measure up to its prices. These features include a 60 inch high performance cutting plotter, a 58.5/ sec maximum cutting speed, high density reflective film, and also uses self adhesive vinyl.
With these features, this vinyl cutter enables users to enable users to obtain up to 50 feet guaranteed tracking.
- 60 inch high performance cutting plotter
- 5/ sec maximum cutting speed
- High density reflective film
- Needs maximum care when using
- Not so easy to set up without the manual
- Needs high maintenance systems in place
#3. Roland CAMM-1 Pro GX-500 54″ Vinyl Cutter and Plotter (5star)
Roland CAMM-1 Pro GX-500 54″ Vinyl Cutter and Plotter unlike the rest that we have seen only costs about $5500. The vinyl cutter and plotter however, got greater capacity just like its sisters before it.
It comes with a stand, cuts materials up to 33 inches, has an optical registration system that facilitates accurate contour cutting, has serial and USB connectivity options, and above all a mechanical resolution of 0.0005″ for precision results.
- Cuts materials up to 33 inches
- Optical registration system that facilitates accurate contour cutting
- Serial and USB connectivity options
- Very heavy
- Not easy to set up without the manual
- Needs very good care to prevent damage
#4. The Mimaki CG-9 with LCD Control Panel (4.5star)
The Mimaki CG-9 with LCD Control Panel falls within the expensive vinyl cutter not only because of its price but also abilities. Simple as it might look Mimaki CG-9 accepts 12” to 36” partial pieces of materials or full rolls. It has an electronic eye that measures materials before they are cut, and an ability to create or adjust panels.
It also has interchangeable tools to cut, pounce, or draw patterns. At $3500 plus this vinyl cutter is a great deal.
- LCD Control Panel
- Accepts 12” to 36” materials or full rolls
- Electronic eye that measures materials before they are cut
- Needs technical know-how to operate
- The start/ stop buttons needs care to last
- The manual is rather vague
#5. Graphtec 24″ CE6000 Desktop Vinyl Cutter Plotter (4.5star)
At just about $1800 the Graphtec 24″ CE6000 Desktop Vinyl Cutter Plotter is a great expensive vinyl cutter option to go with.
Slightly slower than the ones we have seen before the Graphtec 24″ CE6000 Desktop Vinyl Cutter Plotter is equipped with contour cut pre-printed graphics, an LCD control panel, ROBO master software, and a Cutting master plugin.
- Very durable
- Has LCD control panel for easy operation
- Contour cut pre-printed prints to choose from
- Need a little expertise to operate
- Must work with the user manual
- Easy to damage if mishandled
#6. Bundle: ProCut Servo 4800B (4.5star)
The Bundle: ProCut Servo 4800B is a pro cutter. It is the simplest you can get of the expensive vinyl cutters at only $1500. It has a magnetic valve cutting head with 4 wheels and aluminum alloy construction, nice ABS sides.
It is an awesome 48″ cutter for doing contour cutting and has a contour alignment feature for aligning the vinyl with the cutter. It is super for tracing out decals.
- Great for tracing decals and other artwork
- Driven by efficient servo controlled motors
- Improved precision and quieter operation
- Magnetic valve cutting head with 4 wheels
- Hard to install
- Easily damaged if mishandled
- Lacks any LCD operation ability
#7. USCutter MH 34in BUNDLE Vinyl Cutter (4.5 stars)
The USCutter MH 34in BUNDLE Vinyl Cutter is pretty good for newcomers. It is one of the cheap cutters that we have today and can be easily found for less than $350.
It has two adjustable pinch rollers, a compatible blade holder, and a ball bearing roller media system, and a host of other ideal cutting materials.
- Capable of cutting through a wide range of materials
- Very easy to navigate through the software.
- Comes with a Ronald compatible blade holder making it economical
- It has vague assembly instructions.
- Shows no tracking/ trace this could be wasteful for materials.
- The warranty comes only for the original box.
#8. Cricut Expression Electronic Vinyl Cutter (4.0 star)
The Cricut Expression Electronic Vinyl Cutter offers a gigantic compatibility. It also comes with very many circuit cartridges, and an LCD touch panel. At about $250 this cheap cutter comes with a wide range of features that will make your work easy including ones that you can use to cut through portrait and landscape orientation.
The LCD panel allows you to customize your work as you wish too.
- Good for new users
- Easy to follow user manual
- Comes with warranty
- Cuts through variety of materials
- Comes with an easy to use LCD screen
- Hard to assemble
- Warranty stays as long as you maintain original box
- Need close monitoring as it has no tracking tool
#9. Silhouette Cameo Digital Cutting Tool (4.0 star)
The Silhouette Cameo Digital Cutting Tool is one of the best vinyl cutters. As one of the cheap cutters that we have in the market today it measures up to its value of about $250. It comes with up to 50 different cut-able designs.
It also has access of 1000 downloadable designs that you could use.
- Cuts a broad range of materials including fabric
- It cuts titles, paper embellishments, and shapes
- Provides maximum flexibility when cutting vinyl.
- Comes with no materials you must buy your own.
- Assembly instructions are vague
- Warranty is void if you lose the original box.
#10. Brother ScanNCut CM100DM Cutting Machine with Scanner (4.0 star)
At about $250 trust me this is one of the cheap cutters you can get. The Brother ScanNCut CM100DM Cutting Machine with Scanner as the name suggest comes with a built in scanner.
It can scan virtually anything including complex family photos and simple hand-drawn signs. It also has an LCD that makes working with it easy.
- Has built in editing capabilities e.g rotation, welding, resizing, and organizing
- Has over 600 built in digital designs
- It has a user friendly interface – ideal for cutting through fabric
- Not ideal for new users
- Has a rather vague assembly instructions
- Can easily get damaged if mishandled
Simple Considerations When Buying Vinyl Cutters
Choose the Right Engine for Your Use: We have two types of engines that you could choose from Stepper or Servo. A mechanical Stepper Motor will move in small increments or steps. It is driven by physical gears and it’s more conventional. However, it uses familiar technology whose main advantage is economy.
Serve Motor on the other side is the modern-day engine for vinyl cutters. It uses a digital encoder that translates the software’s commands into ones/zeros. This result is a smooth, precise movement of the motor/ cutting head.
It is extremely advantageous. Choose the best motor that serves your needs.
Type of Pinch Rollers Available Too: Here I will be more specific. Go for adjustable pinch rollers. It allows you to moderate the pressure you apply to the media. This enhances tracking on thicker materials leaving you with the best results ever.
Choose Media Cut-Off Feature Again: If your vinyl cutting machine has this feature you will be able to begin each job with a clean straight edge. This reduces any material waste. It minimizes the risk of damage to the platen that taking a blade to the front of your plotter often causes.
Go With Offers/ Warranty Coverage: This is a machine. It can break off as soon as you install is. To ensure that you enjoy the value for your money, getting a machine with enough warranty coverage is very important. This is a very important after-sale service for vinyl cutting machines.
Check Pricing of the Vinyl Cutter: Price is very important. Does it fall within your budget? If it does then cool it will be your best shot. Check the pricing of the vinyl cutter and determine if indeed it favors you.
You could choose cheap cutters or expensive cutters depending on your needs.
When buying vinyl cutters, make sure that you also look for the best brand. Even though this might not play quite an important role in the type of cutter you want to buy, the truth is it is some brands enjoy very ideal market popularity and consent. Choosing such brands could minimize losses and leave you with a great product.